BUCO Brits Celebrates A Century of Service Excellence in North West Province
The history of BUCO’s Brits store is of the historic fabric of the town – in fact, it’s origins even precedes the official establishment of the town itself!
In 1921, shortly after emigrating from Poland and settling in what we today call the town of Brits, Sender Dreier established a building materials business to service the local farming community, as well as contractors working on the construction of the nearby Hartbeespoort dam. The town itself was only officially established three years later in 1924.
Dreier’s business grew rapidly and in 1942 the store moved to a large new premises that included a big yard for housing building materials. Dreier had also brought his son-in-law, Natie Lakier, into the business to help service the growing demands of the store. The street in front of the store was a small gravel road and Natie decided to build a proper road which he also tarred. To this day the road is part of Railway Street. Natie always believed in the involvement in the community of which the donation of the first ambulance to the Brits Municipality is proof.
Expansion necessitated that a bigger building had to be erected over the original 1942 building, which was done early in 1965. In the afternoon of 3 October 1965, a fire broke out and completely destroyed the store. Natie was resolute, and the store did not cease business for a single day, while an even bigger building was erected on the ruins of the old store. This building remained the home of the business until 2017, when it relocated its current premises.
Over the years since Sender Dreier first established his business, it kept on expanding and other businesses were added, including hardware and building material stores in Hartbeespoort, Pretoria and Thabazimbi, a CTM in Brits as well as a Tool Hire business. An unbundling of the group took place in 2006 and DOH Hardware & Building Material was established. The original hardware store in Brits, the Thabazimbi store, CTM Brits and the Tool Hire business were part of DOH which was acquired by Iliad in 2010 and became BUCO a few years later. The premises in Railway Street could no longer accommodate the business and BUCO Brits relocated to a new premises on the R511 close to the Brits Mall early in 2017.
Servicing customers, having stock available at competitive prices, sourcing whatever products our customers need and being part of the community remains part of the BUCO DNA since 1921. A hundred years later we still stay true to this mission – store manager Maik Fenner and his team are ready to keep on building lives, building homes and building Brits and surrounding communities by supplying quality products, expertise and service with a personal touch.